Sunday, March 29, 2009

Home, Not So Sweet, Home

Zach and I had a wonderful weekend together. I have a long blog that I will be writing soon about this past weekend, but until then...Zach and I arrived home today to a cold home. I commented that it probably just felt cold because we had been in a warm hotel room and we keep our thermostat pretty low (60-65*F) at home. We unpacked and started catching up on email, etc. I went and checked out the thermostat which said that it was 59*, but that the thermostat was set to 65* (65* is our treat on the weekends). I manually turned on the heat and cold air blew out of the vents. We turned it back off and headed out to church. On our drive and probably during church, I was thinking through the options. We know that the heating unit is working because it is blowing air, so it is not power (fuse, etc) . The pilot light on the fireplace was on, so it was not the gas. I thought it must be the pilot light in the heating/cooling system. Unfortunately, we do not have any booklets on the machine, so we were left to our own devices. We figured out how to take off several panels and we began looking around. Zach correctly identified where a pilot light should be, but there were no switches, buttons, etc. I phoned a guy in our neighborhood who happens to own a heating and cooling company to see if he could help us light the pilot. Unfortunately, he was already in bed, but his son came over to see if he could help. His son informed us that our unit ignites the pilot light each time the heat turns on and turns off when the heater is not running. News to me. This means that our problem is bigger than the pilot light. We will be calling a service man tomorrow:(

No comments: