Saturday, October 31, 2009

Attempt to Fix Up the House

The guest bathroom in our home is a mess. I am not sure who designed it and/or added some special details, but I am pretty sure they did not know what they were doing. First off, the bathroom is VERY small. There is just enough room for a bathtub, toilet and sink. When you sit on the toilet, your knees touch the tub. In addition, someone decided to come back and add plastic tile to the walls and ceiling that did not really match the existing tile. Another nice quirky thing about the bathroom is that the light switch is inside the cabinet. I could keep going but I am going to stop.

Every time I think about the things I want to do in there, I get overwhelmed and just really want to gut the thing and start over. Until that day comes, I decided that it was time to fix the light fixture. The light in there was a fluorescent light hung over the mirror over the sink. It looked horrible, it buzzed, and it gave off ugly light.

I bought a very cheap light fixture at the Habitat for Humanity home store that I felt was vintage enough to fit the bathroom. I got home and just went for it. I took down the light to find discolored and missing tiles behind the old light fixture. Oh well, I had gotten this far. I got the new light fixture set up and actually working.

In the end, I am not really sure it would be considered an improvement. The light fixture is better looking (I think), the light is better, and it does not buzz. But, there are now discolored and missing tiles surrounding it and it is located a little higher than it should be. Oh well, I tried.

No comments: