Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Update on the Trip

What a day today, but I am going to start with yesterday.

Yesterday, things started out slow as they usually do. Our shingles did not arrive until around lunch time. Despite only having the afternoon to get shingles down, we were able to put down more than half of one upper level of the roof. The weather was great, overcast and temperature in the 70s. There was even a nice breeze. I think the breeze is the reason that I didn't realize I was burning. Oops, I am feeling that mistake today. The only downside yesterday is that my fingers stopped working. I was hammering and using the nail gun and my hand would not open up to release the objects. I would have to physically open it and work my fingers out.


Today we got started out great. We worked hard up until breakfast. We took a break for some good grub and then it was back up on the roof. This is when we took notice that some storms were coming in. We tried to stay on the roof as long as we could. 3 of us stayed until the lightening got too close for comfort. We got down just in time for the downpour. And I mean downpour. There was about 2-3 inches of water in the floor of the building by the end of the storm. We all were wearing garbage bags as raincoats. Oh, and there was even hail. When the storm finally passed over, over half of the group left to return to hotels to get dry. Our church and parts of other churches stayed behind to try to sweep water out of the church, put more felt on the roof because another storm was coming, and a few other odds and ends. This only lasted about an hour before the sky opened again. This is when the rest of us headed back to the hotel.


I decided to go to the hot tub upon my return. You will never believe what happened next...the power went out at the hotel. Thankfully the lights eventually came back on, but what a day!

No comments: