Wednesday, August 12, 2009

End of Summer

Summer is officially over for me. I began work back in the schools at the beginning of this week. It is fun to have an end and beginning of the school year. The end is always getting closer, but the beginning causes a lot of confusion and requires a lot of organization. The last hooray before starting back with school was traveling with my in-laws to WI.

Every year (I think for the past 18 years), my in-laws go up to the Northwoods of WI to spend a week in a cabin. There are many cabins in the resort area that are filled with families who have been coming as long as my in-laws, some longer. There is no TV or wireless in the cabins leaving time to spend time together. This magical place is called Boyd's.

The days revolve around family style meals served in the main lodge. In between meals, time is passed by napping, fishing, reading, puzzling, bike riding, washers, etc.

This year was as amazing as any with a few special memories...

Giving my father-in-law stitches after a muskie tried to bite off his thumb. He is a doctor and I attempted to follow his directions in how to use the sterile materials he always has on hand just in case someone needs stitches. It is not surprising that with 4 boys, this was not the first case of stitches at Boyd's and probably won't be the last. You might be asking, how were you chosen for such a task? Honestly, I was the only who was excited by the thought and so I was kinda self-elected:D

I got to know my grandparents-in-law much better. There is a lot more to them than what I had gotten to know at family gatherings. Much of this time together was spent on attempting to put together puzzles. I helped work on 3 different puzzles over the week (they kept seeming to get harder). One thing I learned about my grandfather-in-law is that he really likes to sing. He was always singing a new tune, most of which I had never heard before. One that I helped him remember the words to was "If You're Happy and You Know It".

I also had a great time participating in boot camp and the kid's relay races. I legitimately lost the sack race to a group of young boys:( Thankfully Zach was on my team in the blind row boat race, so that we could beat Mark, his brother, and Mark's girlfriend. No worries, we didn't race any children in that relay.

As with every year, I got to spend some great time with my in-laws. They are amazing and I feel so blessed to have in-laws that I look forward to spending a week with.

1 comment:

lynb said...

What a great representation of our week together at Boyd's! Thank you. Every year we look forward to this week of quality time with our family, and we are very glad that you are part of it!