Thursday, April 2, 2009

Bad Weather Alert

I tend to not pay much attention to the weather. This really doesn't make much sense since I am out in the weather every day. If the news happens to be on while I am exercises and I catch the weather, I will try to take in the week as a whole. I did happen to catch that they were predicting storms for today earlier this week. I took mental note and all day today I was prepared for bad weather. All through the school day, in and out of my car, the weather was great. I even took my umbrella into a few schools just in case. Nothing. While I was at my last school for the day, the emergency weather radio went off warning of tornado type weather coming towards Nashville. Hmmm tornadoes, I had no idea. It had just begun raining when I was leaving the school. On my way home weather alerts were interrupting the regular programming talking several counties under tornado warnings/watches including Davidson County. When I got home, I turned on the news and took note of the predicted paths of the storms. I needed to be at a continuing education course about 30-40 minutes away by 5pm and I knew that if I waited for this series of storms to pass through that I would not make it, so I hit the road hoping that I could beat the bad stuff and no tornadoes were actually predicted to cross my path. About half way to my destination, there was a weather update informing me that more tornadoes had been spotted and were heading towards my route. I decided that it would be best for me to pull off the road. I took the next exit and took refuge in a Barnes and Noble. I am quite happy I did, because not long after I got into the Barnes and Noble was I informed that a tornado had touched down close enough that we needed to head to the bathrooms of the store for safety. Thankfully, the tornado did not stay down and we just had to stay in that "safe" area for about 10 minutes before we were given the clear. I headed out and continued to my destination. What a night.

No comments: