Sunday, September 13, 2009

Oh, my eyes

For a few weeks, I have been cursing my eyes. I have had days where I had to come home and lay down because they hurt so bad. It is not unusual for me to only be able to wear my contacts until dusk and then they start bothering. I guess I asked for it...

On Friday morning, I woke up and my left eye hurt a little. Not alarming to me because of the above mentioned. I put in my contacts and went about my day. After an hour of work, I knew that I needed to take my contacts out that something was uncomfortable, but once again, not too unusual. I didn't have time to go home, so I just dealt with the discomfort. When I got home, I immediately took out my contacts and put on my glasses. I tried rinsing my eyes out with eye solution and tried resting them for a bit. Then it was off to the state fair. As the evening progressed, my eye began to get very pink and began to hurt. By 9pm, I was in a lot of pain and knew something was up. I called Dr. Bob, my father in law, to get his opinion. He instructed me to cover my eye with a patch to keep the eye closed. His prediction was a corneal abrasion.

The next morning, things were even worse. I was not able to open my left eye at all and barely could open my right eye. Any light really made my left eye hurt. I consulted back with Dr. Bob and he told me to go see someone that it sounded like I had iritis. Through series of phone calls, I was able to find an on call eye doctor willing to come in to look at my eye. Thankfully I had a friend willing to drive me since I still had one eye at best. He confirmed that I had a corneal abrasion AND iritis. He gave me some drops and sent me home.

After a few hours, I was finally able to watch TV (that light prevented me from doing so earlier). This was huge since I had spent about 16 hours unable to do anything. That night I decided that I really wanted to go to Shakespeare in the Park since it was my last chance this year to go. So, I sat through the show with a hoodie draped over my left eye. Thankfully people weren't looking at me, or else they would probably think I was nuts. I am really glad I went, but the lights and wind definitely bothered my eye.

Today, everything was so much better. I have been able to use the computer and watch TV. I still wasn't able to drive or go outside without the light bothering my eye. I am hopeful that I will be able to drive tomorrow and work! I don't really have a choice.

No comments: